PLAINTAIN FLOWER | VAZHAI POO VADAI

Vazhaipoo / Plantain flower vadai


For this vadai you need

1 big plantain flower
200 gms. channa dhal
100 gms. Thuvar dhal
6 red chillies
1 tsp. of ginger- garlic paste (optional)
A pinch of asafoetida
Finely Chopped Cilantro 
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

For Grinding

Soak the dhals seperately 2 hrs.


Take some channa dhal and keep it aside.


Now Grind the channa dhal, Thuvar dhal, red chillies along with salt  to a smooth paste.

Preparation

Now comes the tedious process of cleaning the plantain flower.Apply oil to both hand to avoid sticking.
Take off the purple outer covering and remove the bunch of florets. 
Repeat the process until you reach the center.
Separate each flower from the bunch and remove the stamen. 
Chop the florets and soak them in buttermilk with a pinch of salt to avoid discoloration.
Now to the grinded paste add this chopped flowers, cilantro , remaining channa dhal, curry leaves , little bit of asafoetida ,ginger garlic paste and mix well.


Heat oil in a pan and deep fry them.


Hot and crispy vada's are ready to taste........



Aruna

I am a passionate cook and love to experiment various cuisines , in my kitchen. This blog is my humble attempt to register a copy of recipes that I learn and try . Feel free to experiment with my recipes and adjust accordingly to suit your taste and requirements.Hope you enjoy :)

15 Comments

  1. Delicious Aruna! You remind me of my MIL.. She is an expert in vazhaipoo vadai.. As i love it more, she makes it for me whenever i go to her place..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. vazhaipoo is my favourite in all forms.the vadais will be very crunchy and delicious too.you can visit my blog also and give ur comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a great fan of this. my frends mom make ths for me when i was in college.Only lazy thing is to cut the valaipoo ,so i am not making it at home.will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolutely tasty snack to enjoy.You have a nice blog.Thanks for sharing the recipe.A healthy snack for the people those who possess kidney stones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool. Reminds me of the cutlets we make with these. We call it vazha koombh in malayalam. Thank you for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pls collect ur award from my blog da!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too make this whenever i buy vazhappoo :) but for me this pleasent color never comes :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely vadai, wishes for a happy Deepavali to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite one, we dont get fresh here in Saudi Arabia!!

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post